Thursday, December 5, 2013

Baking Soda & Vinegar

Remember how cool those volcano science experiments were?  I do.  Not only were they cool, but they were also super fun!  And my 2 year old also thought it was pretty fun too. In fact, it's one of her most requested activities for rainy/snowy days.  

Our fun has two parts.  1) Pouring small amounts of the vinegar into the baking soda and watching it bubble and 2) Once all the baking soda is covered with vinegar and no longer bubbles, it's super fun to squish with your fingers and feel the goo as it slips right through.  This activity will literally keep my toddler busy for 30 minutes to an hour each time.

Oh and don't forget to color the vinegar with food coloring so they can see better where it's been.




Items Needed:
Baking Soda
Vinegar
2 Dishes (I use a pie dish & Tupperware bowl)
Spoon (I use a tablespoon)

Directions:
1.  Pour vinegar into bowl (I use Tupperware)

2.  Put a few drops of food coloring.  One or two will do.

3.  Pour baking soda into the other dish (I use pie dish)

4.  Show child what to do.  Strongly emphasize that they should NOT put baking soda INTO the vinegar.  ONLY vinegar into baking soda.  If they do put baking soda into the vinegar mixture, then the entire bowl will bubble over and the vinegar will no longer be active.  


No comments:

Post a Comment