Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wedding Dresses Turned Blessing Outfits

The idea isn't something new.  Turning your wedding dress into a blessing outfit for your child.  But I remember that even on my wedding day, I knew that one day, the very dress I wore would be one that my own children would wear.  After telling my mom my idea, she happily gave me her wedding dress too.  

So when I was pregnant with my daughter (6  years later) I began to take apart mine and my mothers wedding dresses.  I then asked my Mother In Law if she would sew the dress and make a bonnet to go with the dresses so that I would have a little something from all three of us included in this special dress.

The dress itself is made from my wedding dress.  The lace and buttons are from my mothers wedding dress (the lace had begun to turn cream over the years but was originally white)  My MIL who is an amazing crocheter/knitter made the bonnet.  I have never seen my dress look so amazing.  Unfortunately, though followed to a T, the dress was HUGE on my daughter on her blessing day.  I have later discovered this to be a blessing.  She was able to fit into and wear this dress until she turned 3.  It's been well worn and well washed and I hope one day she will want to pass it along to her daughter, adding her own embellishments to it.

When my son was blessed my MIL also made him an outfit.  The vest is from the lining of my wedding dress, the pants from the skirt of my dress and the bow tie and buttons from my mothers wedding dress.  PERFECT and sooo handsome!
 
Once my daughter turns 8 and is baptized (if she chooses) then we'll make her another white dress out of mine and my mothers dresses again.  Same goes for all my children.  There is more than enough fabric and hopefully she'll love this idea as much as I do.

And then hopefully there will be little scraps of fabric leftover that I'll be able to make each of them a hanky or purse or something small that they can cherish on their own wedding day.  This way they'll each have a little piece of us with them and know how much we love them each day. 

Like I said, the idea has been around for ages.  Heck, I had it 10 years ago.  But if you've not thought of what you are going to do with your wedding dress, this might be something you too consider.






No comments:

Post a Comment